RE: [stella] One Bit Sound?

Subject: RE: [stella] One Bit Sound?
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:34:09 -0500 (EST)
> I'll ask more about the POKEY project here at work.  Several people have are
> closely related to the 2600 and 7800.  I only know snippets of their
> backgrounds.  The CEO, Doug Macare, designed Ms Pac Man (arcade), Pole
> Position (2600), designed and lead the 7800 project.  The VP, Jacques Hugon,
> did the kernel for Pole Position II (7800) and managed other projects like
> Desert Falcon, and the POKEY chip in Ballblazer.  I think Tom Westberg did
> ASIC designs for various arcade games (like Ms Pac Man, 2600, 7800).  One or
> two other people here have similar background.

Wow.  That's quite a group!  It's always cool to have guys like that around
work.  I used to work with a 63 year old sys admin name Bruce Hunter.  Man
he had some cool stories!  Like how Unix and the C language were both written
so the engineers at Bell Labs could play a game simliar to Space Invaders...

> I did ask Doug, Jacques, and Tom about the 7800 encryption code.  They said
> that the author is dead and if any hardcopies from the 2600 design still
> exist they may be in a place called the bunker.  It is a building out back
> that is stuffed with old GTI project stuff.

Heh.  I've heard of "the bunker" before.  I wondered where this legend came
from.  I'd sure like to go dig through there sometime!! :)

Let me know if you manage to turn anything up!

-Chris