Re: [stella] Tetris copyright?!!!

Subject: Re: [stella] Tetris copyright?!!!
From: Dan Knapp <dankna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:43:12 -0500 (EST)
Note to the following: yes, I realize that it's not all that relevant to
Atari programming (I only delurk for the tangent threads... oh well).
Is anyone following this discussion?

> Glad you can't patent this is real life.  Substituting "player" for
> "player sprite", you described "jumping for joy while on a platform
> assuming gravity is pulling the player towards the platform in question".
>  I don't think you could reach the state when describing platform games
> where you'd've accurately described something that could be patented (or
> else Activision is due a lot of money (or whoever made the first
> "platform" game)).  The scary part is that this is the sort of
> nit-picking that people are doing in our courts about these same matters!
>  ;)

  A programming language is a form of description; obviously some description
can exist.  The readability of this description as an introduction to gameplay
is irrelevant for legal purposes; only its scope and nonambiguity matter.
  Well, we disagree on ethics; I think patents are very important things and
the originator of an idea does indeed have a right to disallow others from
using it.  However, that would be a tangent here.
  Yes, the description would also have to deal with gameplay goals and so on.
So?  I claim that anything explicitly put into a game can be precisely
described, even to expected strategies which the game has been written so that
players may adopt, giving a pretty good idea of the feel of the game.

> >  Sure it can.  Relevant terminology would be "block-location grid",
> >"active block-entity", and so on.  All depends on the original wording
> >actually used, of course.
>
> Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
>
> The operative words were "clear idea".  My point is that when you start
> using such terminology, you've painted such a broad scope that there's
> little that doesn't fit into your description.  In this case, just
> looking at the words you've thrown out, Breakout and Tetris could fall
> under the same look and feel.  There's a point where the words are so

  Of course that was not a complete description; you'd use those terms to
say things like "When certain formations - such as horizontal lines from
one side to the other - are created in the block-location grid, they are
eliminated and the player's score is adjusted."  This certainly includes
Tetris, Columns, Bust-a-Move, and so on, while excluding Breakout,
Concentration, and other games using grids of objects.

> broad they don't have any concrete meaning, and I think you'd have to do
> that to include Columns in with Tetris.  Unfortunately, the courts have
> to ultimately draw the line in the sand.  Nothing exists (boy I hate
> using this phrase) *a priori*.

  Again that's why lawyers take their jobs so seriously - to prevent things
from being decided arbitrarily.

> Does anyone know the meaning of the word "is"?  (For non-USA-ers, that's
> part of the big stink over President Billy Bubba Boy Clinton's testimony.
>  For a while, he's debating with the lawyers what "is" means in certain
> contexts.  C'est la vie, n'est-pas?)

  Sorry, you've touched a nerve.  Language is not arbitrary or subjective, at
least not intrinsically.  (In violation of copyright), here is a definition
of "is" from the online Webster's:
  (One could claim that "equal" or somesuch is undefined, which is why I have
actually quoted this definition rather than just saying that it exists.)

Main Entry: be
Pronunciation: 'bE
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): past first & third singular 'was'; second singular 'were';
  plural were past subjunctive were past part 'been'; present part 'be·ing';
  present first singular 'am'; second singular 'are'; third singular 'is';
  plural 'are' present subjunctive 'be'
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English 'bEon'; akin to Old High German
  'bim' am, Latin 'fui' I have been, 'futurus' about to be, 'fieri' to become,
  be done, Greek 'phynai' to be born, be by nature, 'phyein' to produce
Date: before 12th century

intransitive senses
1 a : to equal in meaning : have the same connotation as : SYMBOLIZE
    <God is love> <January is the first month> <let x be 10>
  b : to have identity with
    <the first person I met was my brother>
  c : to constitute the same class as
  d : to have a specified qualification or characterization
    <the leaves are green>
  e : to belong to the class of
    <the fish is a trout>
  -- used regularly in senses 1a through 1e as the copula of simple
  predication
2 a : to have an objective existence : have reality or actuality : LIVE
    <I think, therefore I am> <once upon a time there was a knight>
  b : to have, maintain, or occupy a place, situation, or position
    <the book is on the table>
  c : to remain unmolested, undisturbed, or uninterrupted
    -- used only in infinitive form
    <let him be>
  d : to take place : OCCUR
    <the concert was last night>
  e : to come or go
    <has already been and gone> <has never been to the circus>
  f archaic : BELONG, BEFALL

verbal auxiliary
1 -- used with the past participle of transitive verbs as a passive-voice
  auxiliary
  <the money was found> <the house is being built>
2 -- used as the auxiliary of the present participle in progressive tenses
  expressing continuous action
  <he is reading> <I have been sleeping>
3 -- used with the past participle of some intransitive verbs as an auxiliary
  forming archaic perfect tenses
  <Christ is risen from the dead -- 1 Cor 15:20 (Douay Version)>
4 -- used with the infinitive with to to express futurity, arrangement in
  advance, or obligation
  <I am to interview him today> <she was to become famous>
<<<<<

|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  | dankna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx                           |
|---------------|  Blip  | http://www.bergen.org/~dankna/                  |
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  | C PS SQL Java Unix Mac RPN/L NES SMB1 BM        |