Re: [stella] 2600 adaptor for the coleco...

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 adaptor for the coleco...
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 99 22:23:00 -0500
>The first option.  It's pretty much a self-contained 2600.  The Coleco
>cartridge slot has audio and video lines, to which the adapter sends the
>television data for the Coleco to send it to its RF generator.

I'd been wondering recently (in a question that blends the two currently
running threads), what kinds of copyright problems/considerations Coleco
ran into when it made the adapter.  I think this has either been
discussed on this list or rgvc, but I don't remember the final word.

>From what I remember, someone said that the whole 2600 was pretty much
made with off-the-shelf components excepting the TIA.  Is this an
accurate summation?  Could you build one today (perhaps minus the TIA)?
Where would you have to go to get the parts (eg, Radio Shack versus a
processor warehouse)?  And finally, if everything but the TIA is
"off-the-shelf", does Hasbro have any sort of claim over 2600 emulators
in the sense that Sony asserts they have over Connectix's Virtual Game
Station or Nintendo asserts they have over UltraHLE or whatever that
emu's name is?

I was hoping that the 2600, as the first real console, might not have
progressed far enough down the line to fall into the same gray area as
the VGS or HLE (unlike the 7800, which did have encryption etc).  Afaik,
there was no licensing fee to release a game for the 2600, and Coleco
didn't have to pay anything to release their adapter that played 2600
games...  Am I right?

Ruffin Bailey            |    Write Atari 2600 games on your PPC Mac!
rufbo at bellsouth.net   |    http://members.aol.com/mactari