Re: [stella] 2600 adaptor for the coleco...

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 adaptor for the coleco...
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 03:20:06 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Keith Henrickson wrote:

> >as needed.  The RIOT could be an issue...but I'm fairly certain that
>
> Well, a quick check of my Jameco catalog shows the following:
>
> 43297         6532                 128x8 RAM, I/O, timer array
>       3.25      2.95
>
> So, the RIOT is certainly available commercially.  The 6507 isn't, but
> the 6502 can be crippled as need be as was mentioned.  No surprise
> that the TIA isn't.

The problem there is that Jameco is a quasi-surplus distributor.  So they may
have 10,000 in stock with the option to purchase more (in lots of 100) from
the mfr, or they may have 10 in stock and that's the end.  But I think that
the chip was used widely enough, that there are *a lot* of them floating
around out there.

IMHO, running out of RIOT chips is sorta like running out of Combat carts
or 2600 consoles...it *will* happen, but it may take a *long* time.  :)
BTW, if anyone is looking for a TIA source, try Best Electronics.
They have NTSC for $5.xx and PAL for $7.xx last time I checked.

-Chris