Re: [stella] Building yourself an A2600

Subject: Re: [stella] Building yourself an A2600
From: danboris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dan Boris)
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:14:57 -0500
> From owner-stella@xxxxxxxxxxx Wed Mar  3 16:06:04 1999
> To: stella@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [stella] Building yourself an A2600
> Sender: owner-stella@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> At 22:09 -0800 2-03-1999, Glenn Saunders wrote:
>
> >In a lot of ways, the 2600 is like one of the pre-Warner analog Atari
> >arcade games with a CPU driving it.  The style of the electronics, the use
> >of poly counters and delays and strobes and such all came from coin-op.
> >That's why it's so vastly different from a computer-style archetecture such
> >as the Bally Astrocade.

What Atari games used the 2600 style hardware? I have looked a a good number of the early Atari arcades games during my work on MAME and have not seen any yet that work that way. There are either all discrete logic like Pong, or they are basic tile and sprite systems with custom logic thrown in to do scalling and such.

Dan Boris