Re: [stella] Mac/SC loading

Subject: Re: [stella] Mac/SC loading
From: Lord Spambraticus of Borg <satanus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 00:26:39 +1000
On Tue, 9 Mar 99 09:04:34 -0500 rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Ruffin Bailey) wrote:

>Whoa.  Careful now.  CW is just a bit more expensive than MPW.  I feel
>bad enough suggesting to people that they download an 18.3 Meg disk image
>so that they can create 4k binary files!  Though I certainly wouldn't
>look a gifthorse in the mouth, I would like to plead that Mac makewav
>endeavors start with MPW.

Yah, I like MPW for this sort of thing much better.  It lends itself better to
"cross-platform" command line tool porting and such.  These are just development
tools, and spending what little time I do possess on a UI for a tool maybe 10
people will ever use seems a bit of a waste.

Besides, before people diss MPW, keep in mind that CodeWarrior Pro has had
rampant and fatal codegen bugs in their PowerPC optimisers for two releases now.
It's even bitten the MacMAME team.  My 2.5+ year old compilers and libraries are
still working perfectly under my OS 8.5.1, and pass testing on System 7.6 68k
machines.  If only Metrowerks/CW could claim such a stable track record.

>Thanks much, and good luck with the Mac version of Makewav,

Already completed.  I couldn't resist sniffing when I "heard the call" and so I
downloaded it, and made an MPW tool out of it.  You know me, Ruffian. :)  I
haven't done commando help for it yet, as I'm not sure it "makes sense" to leave
it producing .wav files.  I did certify the tool's output against DOS binaries,
which are at odds with the source.  Bob must have tweaked the source code after
he cut the DOS tools, because they generate a slightly longer header
[headerlength = 1579 instead of 1575 as written in the published source code].
I fixed that up, and other various evils in the source to make a PPC/68K MPW
tool that has 100% conformance to the DOS version's output.  It also flawlessly
builds and runs on UNIX.

= Rob-I'm-sorry-I-didn't-mean-to-call-you-Ruffie, RUFFBO =