Re: [stella] Getting closer...

Subject: Re: [stella] Getting closer...
From: emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Erik Mooney)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 02:17:51 GMT
>Good evening all you StellaListers!  What's up?  I have almost finished
>"Pressure Guage" and have a few quick questions that have "tickled my
>fancy".
>
>1) Does anyone know how the random X-coordinate of the Kaboom guy is
>generated?  My guess is that it would be time-based as well as
>potentiometer-based.

Er, why would the X-coordinate be based on the potentiometer?  If all
you need is a random number algorithm suitable for the 2600, I posted
one some time back... you can find it in the archives with
http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/9703/msg00296.html .

>2)To Convert "Pressure Guage" to have PAL format (would anyone want this)
>with a difficulty switch, I could just add 50(?) scanlines.  Should I do 25
>at the top and 25 at the bottom, or 50 on top, or 50 on the bottom?

Probably 25 and 25.

>A general question:  What games that are feasible have not been done 2600
>style?

A full-blown RPG.  A two-player fighter, though Eckhard is working on
one (how's that doing, anyway?)  A 2d shooter with powerups and stuff,
like Raiden.  A real first-person racing game - a number of cars start
and race around a track, not just cars randomly appear like Pole
Position.  Vertical split-screen multiplayer would be easily
implemented with this, or maybe someone could even finally experiment
with linking 2600s.  A game in the style of the PC games Scorched
Earth or Worms (these games *rock* in multiplayer - Scorched Earth
could run on 4 paddles pretty easily.)  Arkanoid.  Any number of
Tetris-genre games (Columns, Puzzle Bobble, Bust-a-Move with lots of
playfield coding magic).  Any number of card games (though Bridge has
been done.)