Re: [stella] Getting closer...

Subject: Re: [stella] Getting closer...
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 15:48:34 +0200
At 02:17 31.03.99 GMT, you wrote:
>>2)To Convert "Pressure Guage" to have PAL format (would anyone want this)
>>with a difficulty switch, I could just add 50(?) scanlines.  Should I do 25
>>at the top and 25 at the bottom, or 50 on top, or 50 on the bottom?
>
>Probably 25 and 25.

The major difference between PAL and NTSC is the colour encoding and
not the frequency. A VCS game has to display an even number of lines
in every frame or it would loose the colour in the frame with the odd
number of lines. That is the overall number of lines per frame and
not just the visible ones. Stella 1.1 displays this number after
exiting. Also it would be nice, if you could use the PAL palette in
the emulators to make sure that your game looks nice on both PAL
and NTSC.

Most PAL TVs can handle a 60 Hz signal, but if you want to do a 50 Hz
version of your game for those TVs that can't, adding 25 lines to the
VBLANK counter and 25 lines to the overscan counter would be best,
as this would keep the image in the center of the screen.

>A full-blown RPG.  A two-player fighter, though Eckhard is working on
>one (how's that doing, anyway?)  A 2d shooter with powerups and stuff,

Since the last version that I posted to this list I had only time
to convert the code to the 3f bankswitching format (hopefully) and
to clean up the data structures a bit to save some space. I didn't
have enough time to draw new gaphics or to add new features, sorry.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg