Re: [stella] Some thoughts that hit me while the power was out

Subject: Re: [stella] Some thoughts that hit me while the power was out
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 17:05:33 -0400
>if you know somebody with another Jaguar,
>another copy of Doom, another TV, and a link cable to join the two
>Jaguar units, you can both play Doom with seperate TV's, like on a
>local computer network.  This makes me wonder about the Atari 2600.  Is
>it feasible (or possible) to make an Atari cart along these lines:  the
>cart has a nine-pin connector plug on the end.  You take a Sega Genesis
>controller extension cord (since it also uses the nine-pin layout) and
>plug the socket into the cartridge on your unit and the plug in the
>right controller jack of your pal's Atari.

Ha!  Well, yes, you _could_ play DOOM! via a link with another Jag owner
(which will pale in comparision to playing Battlesphere via a catbox when
and if that game is ever released).  The net code was pretty buggy, and if,
say, one of the two players had memorized the maps and the other player
hadn't, well...  But my first linked game of DOOM! was played on the Jag.

With the Atari, I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes, you could.  The
Stella manual talks about using the joyports as output, so that's one
hurdle crossed.  There was a game for the Sega Genesis called Zero
Tolerence that used a cable similar to the one of which you speak, but you
had to hack the cable so that some wires switched places between consoles.
I doubt the Atari would be much tougher.

Now all's that's left is for someone to write the game and make a Catbox
for the 2600!  LAN party Friday...  bring Video Olympics, Combat, and, of
course, Warlords!  ;^)

Ruffin Bailey
http://members.aol.com/mactari
Write Atari 2600 games on your Mac!