Re: [stella] Missiles and Ball

Subject: Re: [stella] Missiles and Ball
From: emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Erik Mooney)
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 21:57:51 GMT
>Bob Colbert was experimenting with the idea of using missiles as a kind of
>limited version of a player, to help get more moving objects per scanline
>without flicker.  You can create shapes that make it seem as thought the
>missile has more than 1 bit of resolution by again using the width and
>horizontal positioning per scanline.  You can not have more than 2 dots in

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "no more than 2 dots"... missiles are
either 1, 2, 4, or 8 pixels long, and they're subject to NUSIZ doubling
and tripling (but, IIRC, not double/quad width) along with their players.

>a missile per scanline, but you can acheive all sorts of shapes like
>slashes, crosses, greater-than/less-thans, horizontal arrows, capital I's,
>and so on.  I don't know of any games that really capitalized on this.

The absolute best example of using missiles as sprites is in Super
Challenge Football.  Every one of the 8 computer-controlled players is
drawn with a missile object.
Also, I just noticed some clever programming in that game with the ball.
When the football is over a dark green area of the playfield, the
background is dark green and the playfield/ball is light green.  But when
the football is on a light green yard-stripe, the playfield is actually
the dark green and the background is light green, so that the dark green
ball can show up over the light green background.  All visually seamless.