[stella] VCS modifications

Subject: [stella] VCS modifications
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 00:49:41 -0700
At 07:16 PM 6/5/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Thanks for using NetForward!
>http://www.netforward.com
>v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
>On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Chris Wilkson wrote:
>> My mod is composite video, stereo.  It can also be split into separate
>> Chroma and Luma/Sync signals, but I don't know if that's really useful...
>Some old Commodore monitors have split Chroma and Luma inputs, so it might
>be useful to some.  As I recall, the 2600 actually has split Chroma and

Mid to high priced TVs have Y/C (also known as S-Video or SVHS) inputs.
You'd need to output to the 4-pin Y/C cable, but if you do that then it
would work with these TVs.  It's really quite a shame that so few TVs have
Y/C inputs.

In my case, I need to run the VCS through what is known as a Time Base
Corrector.  This is used primarily with analog videotape to compensate for
tape stretching which in turn creates variances in the video signal which
pro video equipment such as my editing system can't tolerate.

One of the things a TBC can do is take a noninterlaced NTSC signal from a
videogame and add the interlace back into it.  Vertical scrollers like
River Raid doesn't look good this way, but at least it will be a
broadcast-legal signal.  Although my system is composite based, the TBC
handles transcoding from Y/C to composite, and this generally yields a
better image than going in via composite, which is why I wanted to use a
VCS with a Y/C modification.

== Glenn Saunders  --3D Graphics / Videography / Web development--        ==
== krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698      ==
== Cyberpunks homepage      http://cyberpunks.atari.org	                 ==