Re: [stella] New scrolling text cart available

Subject: Re: [stella] New scrolling text cart available
From: "John K. Harvey" <jkharvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:48:34 -0500
ouch!

Ok, explanation time:

	This was not a long-term project.  Pressure Gauge was and still is my main
cart (so far).  After all, I'm still learning  (I've only just started in
October).  The idea was to have a screen in Pressure Gauge that scrolled
across "Programmed by John K. Harvey".  Another friend of mine was
hard-wiring up a game server and asked if I would make him a "Select Game"
cart that used the same scrolling routine.  I figured that the easiest way
to fit a lot of text into a line would be to have it scroll across the
screen using actual blocks of the code instead of rotate commands.  Once
these were finished, I sent the "Select Game" cart to Randy and asked what
he thought.  I was informed that a cart where one could type in their own
text would be appreciated.
	The idea was to make something that people were actually looking for
(Randy had said that some people had requested a custom cart such as this)
so I based on the code on the scrolling carts that I had already written.
It is rather cheezy, but I don't see any others out there.
	As far as the version on Randy's page, it is my first version (with just
GRP0 and GRP1 instead of the 4-digit scheme which has not been posted.
After all, I only figured out how to write a 6-digit scheme a week and a
half ago.
	A more efficient scheme could be written, but I don't see any need.  96
letters of text is quite enough for me to get my point across.  Something
like "Will you marry me?" or "John rocks the house"  barely take up 20
characters.
	I also understand that someone may write a better version of the scrolling
demo, and that's fine; after all, a little competition is a healthy thing.
But I myself have bigger projects to work on.  :)

Ciao
	-John K. Harvey
	"Where has all the flour gone?"