[stella] Pitfall (was Re: Role-Playing Game Development)

Subject: [stella] Pitfall (was Re: Role-Playing Game Development)
From: Paul Hart <hart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:54:23 -0600 (MDT)
On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> Other games employed poly counters therefore a long repeating series is
> used to seed the aspects of the world.  River Raid and Pitfall use this
> approach.

Oh, is that how the map in Pitfall is done?  With the help of a VCR, I
transcribed the entire map of Pitfall by recording myself running left for
20 minutes and then running right for 20 minutes.  That yields quite a
complex map for the game, considering Pitfall is only 4K in size.  The
instructions for Pitfall list the room count and mention the circular
nature of the map, so once I witnessed the wrap-around coming to the
expected locations from both directions I knew that I had visited every
room.  At some point I'd like to disassemble the game to compare my paper
map to the actual game map in the ROM to see if I have any errors.

Has anyone ever managed to finish Pitfall?  With the map I made I can see
where every treasure is and I've mapped out every tunnel in the game that
isn't a dead end, but even then it seems that it would be very difficult
to finish the game in 20 minutes, even with a highly optimized path using
a perfect knowledge of the tunnel layout.  Finishing the game by only
traveling on the surface seems to be out of the question.

If anyone is interested, I can post my Pitfall map.  It contains full
descriptions of every room including the tree layout in the background and
rolling log patterns, and it lists every hazard and treasure.  All the
tunnels are fully mapped, too.

Paul Hart

--
Paul Robert Hart        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        Verio Web Hosting, Inc.
hart@xxxxxxxxxxx        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        http://www.iserver.com/