Re: [stella] What's up with me?

Subject: Re: [stella] What's up with me?
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 22:11:11 -0700
At 11:26 PM 6/30/99 -0500, you wrote:
>What do you all think?

I think keeping the code to yourself in the final stages may be harmful to
the final gameplay.

I think that Eric Bacher could have gotten a lot more feedback from
playtesting and having others look at his code that could have made
Alfred's Challenge a better game, but he preferred to keep it close to the
vest.  We also know how The Core appeared out of nowhere and what became of
it.  Although we really aren't a single "developer house", I think
establishing a standard for development where source and BINs are shared
with list members and then the game is sent off to Randy to be distributed
it a winning formula.

Piero practically made Oystron a group project on Stellalist, which I feel
was the key to its success.  Bins from the beginning all the way to the
final revision were shared with list members.  Many of the best
enhancements to Oystron, the spit and polish, came in the final few months
of playtesting and when Jim and others took his code and reoptimized it
which allowed Piero to add a feature or a graphical flourish.  TPS also had
a good amount of user feedback.  I know I'd still like to see enhancements
made to INV, BTW.

So I would actually suggest, if you don't want to share the final BIN with
everyone on this public list (web accessible) then you may want to at least
assign some private game testers who can help you tune the gameplay before
you commit to the final release.

== Glenn Saunders  --3D Graphics / Videography / Web development--        ==
== krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698      ==
== Cyberpunks homepage      http://cyberpunks.atari.org	                 ==