Re: [stella] RPG Design

Subject: Re: [stella] RPG Design
From: Lord Spambraticus of Borg <lad-of-hell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 01:53:11 +1000
On Sun, 4 Jul 1999 18:28:32 +0300 xtmb@xxxxxxxxx (Tero Lindeman) wrote:

>Well, in my case a detailed plot is not as important factor as the
>variation of game. Like Nethack, you could have played it n+1 times but
>maybe never had seen it all. In this case, if the player dies and has to
>start over, it would be still exciting.

Games with non-designed levels and placements [aka, "generated" level
dungeons, etc] had awesome replay value yes, though it was more to see what
zany weapon/armour/artifact you could snag, as well of course, getting one
step farther to beating the Balrog.

But such a game would not be practical on the VCS, since it has almost no
RAM, really.  Games such as those need lots of RAM for state [unless you're
going to generate the level screen-by-screen with some kinky heuristic for
ensure "continuity" for currently-off-screen sectors, etc.

Kinky, but possible.   With the current resources, tho, something that's
programmer-generated is more practical [using ROM, which you have "lots"
of...]

=Rob=