Re: [stella] Networkable Atari.

Subject: Re: [stella] Networkable Atari.
From: emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Erik Mooney)
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 03:52:22 GMT
>I envision:
>-battleship
>-classics(chess/checkers/othello...)
>-Connect four
>-mastermind
>-card games
>
>I would REALLY like to see a networkable atari game, especially if we can
>get it to run over the internet.  If done in this scheme, the game could
>be played both with 2 ataris locally(2 ataris, 2 games, 2 tvs, 2 cables
>and a null modem), or via the internet.

I think you're _really_ reaching, trying to link Ataris over the Internet
here.  There's already networkable PC versions of all those games; heck,
most of those could be played by email text without even a special
program.  I doubt anyone would really be interested in going through all
these extra steps and extra hardware.

The only real legitimate use I can think of for linking two local Ataris
together is to make two-player games where it'd be infeasible to display
both player's screens in a kernel.  Like two-player Tetris or any of the
puzzle games of that genre (Puzzle Fighter, Columns, Bust-a-Move/Puzzle
Bobble, Dr. Mario, and so on.)  Or maybe the Tempest 2000 style two-player
thing, where there's one player on each end of the tube.  Drawing two of
those side-by-side would be nearly impossible on one Atari, but having
each console display one player's screen would be quite possible.

Well, there's another use - double your text-displaying capability by
sitting two 2600s and TVs side-by-side... imagine a 2600 Jeopardy game
doing that :)