Re: [stella] atari controllers on the PC

Subject: Re: [stella] atari controllers on the PC
From: bwmott@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:59:55 -0400 (EDT)
> > This is a natural issue to follow the release of a commercial emulation.  I
> > know that there is something out there that does this for the
> > Intellivision, so let me just say that if anyone out there wanted to rig
> > something with us that would be convenient and DirectInput compatible,
> > please let us know, something that can be sold already-assembled.
>
> What is DirectInput?

It's the "controller" part of DirectX.  The X in DirectX can be replaced
with Draw, 3D, Input, etc...

> > Ideally, it should support all controller types (okay, maybe not the
> > keypad) with two ports on it.  Parallel isn't really a good solution.  It
> > would be better if it used the 15-pin controller port on sound cards or USB.
>
> Why not parallel?  I would go with the gameport.  Not everyone has USB yet.
> But what idiot plays arcade games on his PC without a gameport???? :)

I wouldn't use the printer port because most people use it for something
else like zip drives, scanners, or printers.  Using the game port is probably
the best solution and if you can figure out how the digital joysticks work
on the PC then you would probably have enough I/O to handle all the 2600
controllers.

Later,
Brad

Bradford W. Mott (bwmott@xxxxxxx)          Computer Science Department