Re: [stella] my "pot" runneth over

Subject: Re: [stella] my "pot" runneth over
From: gentlben@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:30:39 -0700
> No it dosn't. You don't have to wait for the capacitors to be recharged
> before you can ground them again. Almost all paddle games discharge
> the capacitors right before the VSYNC code and alllow the recharging right
> after it. They then read the paddles only during the visible part of
> the screen. This way you also reduce the play angle of the pladdles
> to a much more managable size, since turning the paddle in a full
> circle quickly in a game is pretty difficult for most players.

so technically, i could set VBLANK bit 7 to 0 at the
beginning of overscan to discharge the capacitors and
then set it to 1 during the beginning of VSYNC and
that would give me (and everyone else) a tolerable
paddle knob range? sounds just peachy...however, the
way i have the game routine set up in my head as far
as control is concerned, i will have to latch the
paddle position counter to determine where the objects
are placed on the next frame...

> Also someone mentioned lately that not all paddles are that acurately
> especially if they are older and have been heavily used. So having
> a little safety zone on each end off the circle might be a good idea
> anyway.

actually i believe that was in june that old and
heavily used paddles were brought up (back when i
didnt know enough to even code on the 2600)...

dee