[stella] Encryption keys

Subject: [stella] Encryption keys
From: jvmatthe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 22:44:19 -0400 (EDT)
Robert Jung just updated his Atari Jaguar FAQ with the following information:

> Q. Where is the encryption key for Jaguar games?  Now that Hasbro has declared
> the Jaguar an "open system", the key should be available to the public,
> right?
>
> A. Wrong.  Even though Hasbro has officially declared the Jaguar to be an
> "open" system, they have not released the encryption code for Jaguar games
> because they do not know what (or where) it is.  Hasbro's declaration of
> openness on the Jaguar simply means that developers and hackers are free to
> use any means they can to develop and sell Jaguar games -- whether they do
> this by figuring out the encryption key, bypassing the Jaguar's startup
> checks, or using any other techniques, Hasbro's lawyers will not bother
> anyone along the way.
>
> As of this writing, the unofficial word in the Jaguar community is that the
> few people who DO have access to the Jaguar's encryption key are trying to
> make sure that they're "safe" -- that if they release the keys, they won't
> be prosecuted by some other company for some other reason.
>
> But all hope is not lost!  According to Scott LeGrand of 4Play, former
> Atari engineer Dave Staugas has mentioned that the Jaguar's startup
> encryption check has a "back door" in the software -- a safety measure to
> be used in case the "real" encryption key was lost.  Investigation in this
> direction is currently continuing, and the latest (unconfirmed) theory is
> that the encryption (and the back door) works as follows:
>
> 1. A 512-bit key is applied to the memory data, and then a 32-bit
> checksum is used for validation.
>
> 2. The bottom 8K or so of ROM memory is filled with a key generated from
> the cartridge data.  When a Jaguar boots, this 8K of data is combined
> with the ROM data to generate the 32-bit checksum.
>
> 3. If the checksum is valid, the cartridge is allowed to run.
>
> 4. The "back door" checksum value is: 03D0 DEAD (hex).  And yes, it IS a
> cheeky reference to the Jaguar's then-current competitor...
>
> More details about the Jaguar encryption process will be added as it
> becomes publically available.  Scott, Carl, you know where to find me...

So a couple of questions occurred to me when I read this:

1) Is it possible that such a back door exists for the Atari 7800?  I realize
that active developments on the 2600 are slow, but perhaps people would be
attracted to the more flexible hardware of the 7800, especially if they
could release games.

2) If such a back door did exist, would Hasbro perhaps open the 7800 as it
did with the Jaguar?

Just a few thoughts...it's been a little quiet in here this weekend.

matt