[stella] Built-in screen saver

Subject: [stella] Built-in screen saver
From: "John K. Harvey" <jkharvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 00:06:23 -0500
Hello all.
	I was reading the article that was posted in IEEE Spectrum on the net,
when suddenly I  came across this paragraph:

" An example of extensive color manipulation is a subroutine developed by
Mr. Decuir to avoid burning game patterns onto the TV screen if the VCS is
left unattended. The routine, which cycled through all possible
color-luminance combinations, used only a dozen bytes, a great advantage in
early game cartridges, which held only 2 kilobytes of ROM. "In 2K, you
barely have room to brush your teeth," Mr. Decuir said."

Is this just a subroutine that is accessed in the "mainloop" (to use Nick
Bensema's playfield code)?  Does anyone know what this code looks like, and
how it checks if a game is idle or not, and how long the game waits before
a screen saver mode hits?

Thank you.

	-John K. Harvey