Re: [stella] A couple of questions

Subject: Re: [stella] A couple of questions
From: "John K. Harvey" <jkharvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:20:19 -0500
At 05:42 PM 8/12/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>I will be acquiring an Atari 7800 and expect to be loving Food Fight.
>But a question occurs to me.  Supposedly, Robot Tank, Decathalon, the
>Supercharger, and a couple of other games for the 2600 won't run on the
>7800.  Did anybody determine what it was in the program design that
>made this happen?  Have any homebrew games run into this problem?

Well, I have a 7800 with the classsic dent in the middle.  This version
runs my Supercharger, Decathlon, and Robot Tank with no problems
whatsoever.  However, my machine hates "Space War".  I also have a 7800
with the expansion port in the side where the Supercharger will not run.  I
haven't had any problems getting Pressure Gauge to run on either 7800 (or
for that matter, Edtris or Soundx)

>Also, the 7800 appears to use a two-button controller.  Can anyone tell
>me if 2600 games can be made to utilize that extra button?  Is this
>basically what the "Booster Grip" for Omega Race used?

I think It's different.  I believe the Booster Grip just adds the use of
another pin in the 9-pin adaptor, while a 7800 controller requires some
resistors inside of the controller that are wired from both buttons to only
one pin (if memory serves at all).

Ciao!
	-John K. Harvey