Re: [stella] DASM 101

Subject: Re: [stella] DASM 101
From: dee <gentlben@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 16:33:10 -0700
Pete Holland wrote:

> I need some help with DASM here.  I was just about ready to try out the
> stuff I've learned when I hit my latest brick wall (and it hoits).
>      I am running on a Windows 95 operating system.  I go into explorer
> and click on DASM (there are two files, one for Word and the other an
> Application.  The later is the one I pick).  It opens a window and a
> screen appears labeled, "Finished-DASM".  If I try typing anything, the
> computer says it has shut down and nothing can be done.  My PCAE runs
> just fine from Windows.  What am I doing wrong with DASM?  Do I have to
> start it from a DOS mode and, if so, what do I type in?  My experience
> with DOS is just about nil.  Is there some way to run it from Windows
> and if so, how?  Please help quickly.  I was looking forward to playing
> and creating this weekend.

i know how that feels...well i just happen to be quite experienced
with DOS...and dasm is one of those programs that have to be run
WITH a file...try this:

dasm file.ext -f3 -ooutfile.ext

where file.ext is your source code, outfile.ext is the binary file
you want it to be called that DASM creates (no space between -o and
the name) and -f3 simply means that its a raw binary file, no headers
or nuttin...so hypothethcally, if you have a file called invaders.asm
and you want to make a rom image called invaders.bin you would type
the following:

dasm invaders.asm -f3 -oinvaders.bin

i hope this helps and that you manage to get dasm working!

dee