[stella] Working on finishing...

Subject: [stella] Working on finishing...
From: Mark De Smet <desmet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 23:30:35 -0500 (CDT)
I'm working on finishing video simon, but could use some other peoples
experiances/knowledge to finish up touches.

Music.  I'm going to put in a song that will play at start up that
will be played on the simon(the computer just pushes the buttons).
One of the problems of this is that the song must have only 4
different notes in it.  Mary had a little lamb was suggested to me, but
for the life of me, I don't know the tune...  Does anyone have this, or
have an atari song that I can use for game music?  I'm not much of a
composer.

Colors.  It was also pointed out that my colors are not very universal.
My problem is that I only have one tv to test it on, and it shows up
completely differently than when I run it on the emulator.

I'm looking for the following colors, and I'm using these settings for
them.

white     %00001111
Is this the best white I can get?

black     %00000000
I assume this correct...

green     %11010110

yellow    %00011010

red       %01000000
This is what I'm having the most problems with.  It shows up black on the
emulators, but in a nice red on my tv...

blue      %10100110

off white %00001100
I want this to be a bit more grey than the white, just enough to be
noticable

dark blue %10100000

brightred %01000100

Does anyone have suggestions for what I should use for the above
colors?(that look good an a vcs/tv)

PAL.  It was suggested that I adapt the program to have two color palets,
so that the colors can look better if played on a PAL system. suggestions
for color codes for the above colors?  I have no way of testing this. Even
though my program has the scan line counting for NTSC, is it still fine
for PAL?  Or should I make a different version w/ line counting for PAL?

Remember that a version can be found at:
http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~desmet/projects.html
It is an old version(I havn't changed it), as I have fixed the over run
errors etc. for levels over 99(it stops at 99); but the colors have not
changed.

Mark