Re: [stella] Working on finishing...

Subject: Re: [stella] Working on finishing...
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 15:08:47 +0200
At 23:30 07.09.99 -0500, you wrote:

>different notes in it.  Mary had a little lamb was suggested to me, but
>for the life of me, I don't know the tune...  Does anyone have this, or

A web search might direct you to a midi version of it.

>Colors.  It was also pointed out that my colors are not very universal.
>My problem is that I only have one tv to test it on, and it shows up
>completely differently than when I run it on the emulator.

Depending on how your VCS, your TV set and your computer monitor
are tuned, the colours displayed by a real VCS might differ a bit
from the colours displayed on an emulator. For example PCAE's
palette seems to be a bit too dark for most people.

But if you want good signal colours, that people can tell apart
easily, you should probably stay away from the darkest and the
brightest luminances no matter how good they look on your own
TV.

And also remember that the lowest bit in the colour value has no
effect. So %00001111 is the same colour as %00001110.

>PAL.  It was suggested that I adapt the program to have two color palets,
>so that the colors can look better if played on a PAL system. suggestions
>for color codes for the above colors?  I have no way of testing this. Even

PCAE lets you see PAL colours by pressing the F3 key and Z26 shows
PAL colours if you start it with the -c1 command line option. Also
on http://www.primenet.com/~nickb/atariprg.htm on the tools page
there is a little program by me, which shows all 128 VCS colours,
if you press the joystick button. This should help you to select
nice colours for your game. I'm not quite sure if it is called
COLOURS.BIN or COLOURS.PAL, but if it is COLOURS.PAL, you can
rename it to COLOURS.BIN, since the .PAL extension is only to
make the program start up in PAL mode on PCAE.

>though my program has the scan line counting for NTSC, is it still fine
>for PAL?  Or should I make a different version w/ line counting for PAL?

Most PAL TVs should sync nicely to a 60 Hz signal. You just have to
make sure that you do an even number of scanlines per frame or the
colours will be lost. The first version of VIDSIMON does an even
number of scanlines. Stella for DOS shows the number of scanlines for
the last frame after you quit the emulator, just in case you want to
check that yourself. Or you could send the new version here and we
will check the PAL colours for you.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg