Re: [stella] Voice Synthesis

Subject: Re: [stella] Voice Synthesis
From: Pete Holland <petehollandjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:32:33 -0700 (PDT)
For what it's worth:  I think I'll leave the more technical aspects to
the real geniuses here.  Here's some trivia geek info from me.
     Supposedly, voice is kind of possible on the 2600.  To my
knowledge, one game tried it.  Called "Quadrun" and released by Atari
sometime around when Intellivision and Odyssey were releasing their
voice modules, this game, according to a magazine put out by Atari
itself, would feature the word "Quadrun" said without any add-ons.  I
have the .BIN file for "Quadrun" and, aside from not knowing what is
going on for the game, have yet to hear any kind of voice.  I think the
Atari FAQ says that, when the voice kicks in, the screen goes blank.
If anything, voice on the Atari sounds like a dicey proposition, but if
it is possible with "Quadrun," I'll be happy to send out the file for a
study.
     By the way, does anyone know anything about the game, like the
objective or anything?  It looks like a weak "Reactor" rip-off.