Re: [stella] Are 7800 demos legal???

Subject: Re: [stella] Are 7800 demos legal???
From: slapdash@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Russ Perry Jr)
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 23:10:13 -0600
At 9:39 AM 11/28/99, Glenn Saunders wrote:
>At 09:24 PM 11/23/99 -0600, Russ Perry Jr wrote:
>>Actually, we know that they declared the Jaguar an open platform, but
>>still won't release the encryption keys or method.

>Russ, to the best of my knowledge, it's not that they WON'T release the
>encryption algo, it's that they CAN'T (or won't spend the time) find it

That's almost certainly true...

>I know that the 7800 encryption routine is definitely lost.

We've heard as much from Hasbro?  And does this include possible third
parties?

>Legally speaking, it's not wise to read between the lines, but it's
>definitely implied in the Hasbro announcement that older systems have the
>green light for development.  I mean, Carl is also developing Lynx games
>without trouble from Hasbro

But the Lynx doesn't require encryption.  Did Atari actually have a
licensing structure in place for the Lynx?

>>Well, the point is, the courts would find it illegal, but Glenn may not
>>mind.  But if you're really after being legal, you need a way around
>>the legal issue.

>I think Russ is saying that we should contact Hasbro.

Not necessarily...  But, if anyone is worried about legality, they either
SHOULD contact Hasbro and try to get permission or another statement, or
not do anything.  If they're of a more practical mind, then they should
start developing regardless, and hope that Hasbro never notices or cares
(and they probably won't).

||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #105   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    slapdash@xxxxxxxxxxxx    VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||