Re: [stella] RAM carts?

Subject: Re: [stella] RAM carts?
From: Krueger <resqsoft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 17:27:58 -0800
Eckhard Stolberg wrote:

> >When reading through the archives, I saw a couple messages hinting at some
> >RAM cart projects.  If I recall, by Lee, Eckhard and John S(is this
> >correct?). I've been devising one for a while, but have not had enough
> >time until now to seriously work on it.
>
> Yes, John, Lee and me are working on a 7800 RAM cart. It basically
> consists of a new OS for the 7800, a simple cable between a 7800
> controller port and the PC parallel port and a 7800 game cartridge,
> that has been modified to work with RAM chips. Plans for the first
> version can be found at http://quadrun.tripod.com
>
> Since then we have already got a simpler 48kb RAM cart working and
> are now adding features to the PC transfer program. John is currently
> pretty busy with other things, so a release of this will probably
> take some time.
>
> Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Yes, to add further comment to Eckhard's remarks. The plans are all on the
webpage I believe?!? John and I want to make a run of boards and probably
provide this in a kit form. Making cables and modifying 7800's is going to be
waaaay too much work, but making a kit for the diehard hobbyist is probably
the way to go. The 48k cart size will hold firm as extra hardware would be
needed for the supercarts. While we were at it, we would make boards for folks
to easily modify their 2600/7800 to output composite/S-video also in a kit
form.

BTW: John and Eckhard are the ones to be commended for developing the ram cart
(ala Trac-Mar).  I mainly provided enthusiasm and the hardware to develop the
Ram Cart. Sometimes we have to give John a big push to get him excited. Since
I live not to far from him, it was easier for me to go over there and get him
kick started with a beer or two :-) I don't quite have the free time needed to
develop this stuff, like I would like. However, now that Boeing Engineer's are
on strike......

Beer anybody?!?!

Take care,
Lee
--

ResQsoft Research & Technology: <http://home.earthlink.net/~resqsoft>
Check out the Atari 2600 CD Compilation for play on your Supercharger:

"No Atari; no fun" <==> "Know Atari; know fun" /|\
"Save the Whales; Buy the whole set"
"On the other hand; you have different fingers"
"God, Please protect me from your followers."