Re: [stella] SC's input port (second SC continued)

Subject: Re: [stella] SC's input port (second SC continued)
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 19:50:09 +0100
>Any suggestions for inputs that do not involve a pc, and can be read in
>via digital lines?

If your RAM cart supports the SC bankswitching, then being able to
use the SC tapes with it would be nice. Sice most other VCS games are
pretty small too, the audio loading times wouldn't be much of a
problem for them either. Getting access to an audio player near the
video game console would be much easier for most people than getting
access to a PC near the video game console. And if you use CDs where
you can simply play a certain track to load a certain game, it would
be pretty conveniant too. So I would say that an audio input would
be the best choice for the additional input. You might have problems
to expand the SC tape format to work with non SC games though.

>Does anyone know the technicals on the SC's input port, or how hard it is
>to re-create?  Is it as simple as adjusting the voltage level and reading
>an async serial stream?

I'm not sure about the SC, but most other computer tape interfaces
only have a schmitt-trigger between the audio input and the input
pin in order to get a nice square wave signal.

How you would go about reading the data in depends on the tape
format that you use. Some information about the SC tape format
has already been posted to this list, but I think you can find what
you need by reading the source code to Bob Colbert's MAKEWAV program.
Also the ROM image for the SC BIOS is availabe somewhere on the net.
You would have to disasssemble it yourself though.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg