Re: [stella] Miniaturization

Subject: Re: [stella] Miniaturization
From: Kevin Horton <khorton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 07:18:04 -0400 (EDT)
At 22:10 4/16/00 -0500, you wrote:

>> >If there wasn't, what would it take to make one,
>> >assuming I found a housing for it?  How much would it
>> >cost?
>>
>> Hobbywise, it's probably too expensive, and the end result too builky.  But
>> the electronics in the 2600 could definitely be reduced down into a very
>> small, very inexpensive, low-power consumption VLSI chip.
>
>I had discussed this with John Harvey before because I was seriously
>considering it.  Here are some of my thoughts on the subject.
>
>Sales wouldn't be very large, so one couldn't do an ASIC, or otherwise
>lower cost through volume.
>
>This would require implementation in an FPGA in order to meet power and
>size requirements(otherwise could use some of the original chips).
>Assuming that we are talking about ~1000 units, I estimated that you could
>get such a part for $70 (maybe less, depends on how big a part you end up
>needing). (I'm talking about implementing the 6507, TIA, PIA etc. in the
>FPGA)

Funny you should mention that... I'm working on another Bankzilla to replace
the current one and was debating implementing the TIA in the FPGA that it
is going to use... problem with this is I don't think anyone has a gate-level
diagram of the TIA laying around, do they?  As it is, the FPGA is implementing
some bankswitching (naturally), special controller adaptation, and other goodies
that I can cram in there.  Ironically, an NES subsystem is going to run the
device, simply because those clever Taiwanese have condensed the entire
Nintendo down into a single chip... all you do is add 2 ROMs and you got a
complete control system with video and audio to make a dandy title screen.

Speaking of single-chip game systems, the TV Boy has such a thing in it.
Inside, is a 40 pin "glop top" chip on a carrier board.  I removed it and
installed it on a PCB with a 2600 cart connector to try out some games on
it.  Pretty big disappointement :-)   It doesn't run much 2600 stuff.
Lots of graphics glitches... guess their timing was off a wee bit.

I've seen other "pirate" 2600 consoles with cart ports and similar chips;
I bet these chips are much better at running 2600 games due to the presence
of the cart port.

Speaking of Bankzilla 2, does anyone have a Spectravideo Compumate I can borrow?
NTSC or PAL is fine.  I want to reverse-engineer it so I can include support for
it.  Since the new unit is going inside an old Atari 800XL case, I have a
keyboard at my disposal and thought I would put it to a good use :-)  I've got
support for the CVC Gameline, and the Supercharger demo unit as well (the NES
will stream the SC demo unit data, as well as normal supercharger game data).