Re: Antwort auf: Re: [stella] Miniaturization (NES programming)

Subject: Re: Antwort auf: Re: [stella] Miniaturization (NES programming)
From: Erik Mooney <emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:08:39 -0400 (EDT)
> By the way, I have to excuse for giving false information on the Game Boy
> Color. After looking at some screen shots, it seems to have better graphics
> capabilities than the NES... I think, 4 colors per 8x8 block instead of
> 16x16 blocks on the NES. And it's also got a CPU twice as fast as that of
> the normal Gameboy... which runs at a little above 1 MHz? Is that true?
> Normally Z-80 processors don't run that slow! Well, maybe they tried to save
> battery power by that...

The old Gameboy has a background map of 8x8 tiles, and up to 40 8x8
sprites, all in four-color greyscale.  The GB Color has that the same way
- you're right, it's 4 colors per 8x8 block and, independently, four
colors per sprite.  The Gameboy CPU is a custom Z80 (with stuff like I/O
removed) running at 4 MHz; the GB Color CPU can run at either 4 or 8 MHz.