Re: [stella] TVBoy

Subject: Re: [stella] TVBoy
From: Kevin Horton <khorton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:30:26 -0400 (EDT)
At 00:22 4/19/00 -0700, you wrote:
>If anyone knows Korean, you may want to check this lead out on the TV-Boy:
>
>In Seoul, Korea - NICS Electronics Co., Ltd.
>Tel: (822) 551-3891-8 Fax: (822) 551-3899/3987
>
>http://www.nicskorea.co.kr/
>
>I bet it wouldn't be too hard tracking down the source of the chip.

Don't bother.  The chip is not 2600 compatible as I said in another post to
the list.

The only game I tried it would run correctly is King Kong :-).  It uses,
get this, the *address lines* to read the joysticks and console switches
using the phi2 clock and some diodes!  This causes major problems for games
that bankswitch, and most games that don't bankswitch fail because the TIA
implementation is dorked when the game tries to redefine multiple sprites
for things like scores and such.

Jr. Pac-Man was fun because the dots never disappeared :-)
Pitfall 2 was a random almost bitmapped slotch of colour that was frozen,
Keystone Kapers worked, but the score didn't,
X-Man worked ironically,
Pigs in Space appeared to work OK until I got to the "shoot the chickens"
   stage.  The chickens would move and parts of them would appear/disappear
   *all over* the display area!  Hitting all of them (mostly by luck) caused
   the cart to crash.
Crackpots worked, but the spiders would "jitter" all over the screen instead
   of moving smoothly. (making hitting them on even the first levels fairly
   difficult.

As to why all the games work on the TV Boy itself, it is because each one has
been modified.  I've read its ROM out, and the games have all been modified
(more than just removing the copyrights, etc) sometimes heavily.

Another quick note is the chip uses what I call "Nintendo Technology".  The
colour info is generated the same was it is on the NES (multistage shift
reg array).  It also has an NTSC/PAL mode jumper.  I have both styles of unit
and a ROM dump from each (they are different).