Re: [stella] Hardware comparisons

Subject: Re: [stella] Hardware comparisons
From: "Clay Halliwell" <clay.h@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 18:55:49 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <stella@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 5:08 AM

> I think video DMA on the Atari cuts raw throughput of the CPU down by
> 1/3rd, which is why there is a poke you can do to turn off video DMA when
> you are running a big numbercrunch operation.  A lot of Atari BBS
operators
> would do that.  The Atari 1200XL had that assigned to one of its function
keys.

ANTIC DMA only consumes 1/3 of the bus bandwidth in the 8K display modes
(8-11). In the text-based modes the impact is practically negligible.

> It actually cuts throughput enough to hinder playing digital samples,
> actually, which is why sampling programs (or software voice synths like
> SAM) would blank the screen.

Actually sampling (and playback) programs turn off *everything* that would
disturb the data stream... video DMA, the vertical blank interrupt, anything
else they can get their bits on...

I only remember four Atari games that played digital sound without killing
the screen-- Kennedy Approach, Whomper Stomper, Alley Cat, and MegaBlast (I
think that's the name).

 --
Clay Halliwell           | ATARI XL/XE   DO + THE
clay.FAKEMEAT.h@xxxxxxx  | 8 - B I T S   --------