Re: [stella] Hardware comparison

Subject: Re: [stella] Hardware comparison
From: Pete Holland <petehollandjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 13:27:46 -0700 (PDT)
--- kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Sorry, but it WAS me who posted those questions.

Oops.  Well, still no offense intended.  You don't
have to apologize.

> The point was to find out at which pricepoints such
> expansions can go for without being suspicious of
> being a "hidden new system".

Well, here's the data I have:

My N64 expansion pack:  this is kind of iffy.  It is
available free if you buy Donkey Kong 64, which could
kind of skew the results.  After all, it is
practically free.  Knock off versions (one I tried
didn't like my copy of Quake II) go for about $20,
with the canon one from Nintendo going for $30.  My
official Nintendo one cost me $20 at a game resale
shop.  I checked the auctions on eBay, and the canon
expansion pack seems to go for an average of about
$20.

The 32X--couldn't tell you.  I don't usually spot a
32X alone, it usually has games with it, skewing the
price.  At a pawnshop about a half hour from where I
live, there is a Genny 2, a CD version 2, and a 32X.
$50 per component, $150 for the whole thing.  It has
quite a coat of dust on it, so I think it is safe to
say that that is too high.

4 Meg Memory for the Saturn--this is tricky.  Game
Sharks were made with the extra 4 meg built in and a
code to play Japanese games here in America.  But
memory expanders and my copy of NiGHTS (my favorite on
the system) don't get along too well.  The resale shop
(it specialized in imports) was small, so it's prices
were a bit higher, $35-40 for the devices.  But as
long as they had copies of X-Men vs Street Fighter,
people shelled out for it.  About a month ago, one
expander was in the bin for $10.

I'm not really aware of any expanders for other
systems.  I read in EGM that Konami was considering
making one for the NES, but gave up on it, and leave
us not forget the M2.  But such vaporware always has
enthusiasm powering it.  I don't know if any of the
above helps, but there you go.

> X32, at its time, was more expensive than the
Genesis
> itself, as was the CD expansion when it came out.

Top of the class.  The Genny was between $90-100
depending on where you shopped.  The CD, I think,
first came out either at or above the $200 mark.  The
redesign for the version 2 was supposed to lower cost,
but only did it by I think $50.  I think it went for
$150.  My version 1 I got for Christmas, so I don't
have much of an idea.

> With the N64 RAM expansion, priced at $30 compared
> the N64's $100, this isn't the case.

Absolutely, although it does make you grind your teeth
when they are giving it away for free with newer
systems and one game in particular, when you shelled
out for it yourself.

> And I do believe that such points can be useful for
> judging whether a piece of 2600 hardware we develop
> could sell well or not, so they're not totally out
of
> topic.

Absolutely right.  And I apologize again.  Your
direction for the thread didn't bother me.  I'm sorry
I gave that impression.

Dobre utka,
Pete Holland Jr.