[stella] Catbox/video mod

Subject: [stella] Catbox/video mod
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 21:37:43 -0700
At 09:17 PM 5/2/00 -0400, Chris wrote:
Well, if someone will send me a catbox, I'll do it!

I'll see what I can do. I haven't seen many on Ebay. I think those who have 'em are keeping 'em. But maybe we can arrange for a loaner too. Might want to follow up in Email on this one.

I'm still working on the 2600 video board...getting jacks at what I consider
a "reasonable" cost is tough.  :/  Anyway, I have the circuit proto done,

What are your sources? RCA jacks shouldn't cost too much. Making a luma/chroma to SVideo connector might be a little expensive, though.

From looking at the board itself it doesn't look like a particularly expensive project, materialwise. Now that we know to cut the RF pin(s) to eliminate the hardware interference, I'm hoping you can formally publish the plans as I'm already convinced it's the best mod out there. Other mods are in heavy circulation and I think people are missing out on the real deal.

and I just need to layout the board, and FIND JACKS.  From what I remember
of the proto I built for Glenn, the new output looks better.  Hopefully,

Where is the improvement, specifically? There were only two problems I noticed with the one you modified for me:

1) There is a slight ghosting pattern on the signal that I think had to do with timing issues between the luma and chroma lines. I could never get the two to exactly match up.

2) In SVideo mode, there is a gridlike pattern in the signal. I'm under the impression that this is an artifact of how the TIA chip generates video itself, as it may not generate truly perfect NTSC colorburst which isn't apparent with composite.

it'll be ready by June. Yay!

Will you be able to show off the new design at CG Expo 2K?

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment
Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698
Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc
--
"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/