[stella] Collision detection

Subject: [stella] Collision detection
From: "John K. Harvey" <jkharvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 12:36:04 -0500
Ok, so I've been thinking about collision detections (pretty obvious, if
you read the subject line).

I've never done these things before, and was wondering when to check, set,
and clear the latches.  The stella guide says I should do it typically in
VBLANK.  However:
Hypothetically, I've been thinking of a situation:
P0 and P1 collide on scanline 4.
P0 and P1 collide on scanline 104.

Should I check for collisions after scanline 4, and then rewrite to CXCLR
immediately afterward, and check for another collision after liune 104, or
just try to figure the stuff out all in VBLANK?  I guess I'm just wondering
what works bet for some of you others who have used this stuff.

And also, are collisions only detected in the kernal?

Thanks!

	-John K. Harvey
	"The man who didn't care about his igneous rock took it for granite."