RE: [stella] Stella Programmer's Guide Overhaul Project

Subject: RE: [stella] Stella Programmer's Guide Overhaul Project
From: "John Saeger" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 07:43:39 -0700
Chad Hendrickson wrote:

> I thought it would be a great idea to take the "Stella Programmer's Guide"
> and give it an overhaul.
>
> What do you think?

I don't mean to be too discouraging; I think it's a good idea to go ahead
and do the best you can, but I think that until copies of the schematics
that described the TIA design surface so that somebody can tell us what they
really mean, an updated 2600 programmers guide will never be *complete*.
There are too many undocumented tricks that have never been described
adequately.  For example, how does horizontal positioning *really* work.  At
this point, outside of the guy who designed the chip (Joe Decuir), I don't
think anybody really knows.  The best we've been able to do is make guesses
and approximations.  Come to think of it, maybe *How does horizontal
positioning really work?* could be a nice question for the FAQ project that
seems to have started.  ;-)

So Brad, did you get to make a copy of those schematics that you saw at CGE?

John