Re: [stella] scanline counts

Subject: Re: [stella] scanline counts
From: Robin Harbron <macbeth@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 13:11:07 -0400
"John K. Harvey" wrote:
>         Basically, I'm wondering how many or how few scanlines I can have per
> frame before I will have any given television "roll".  I believe I remember
> hearing on this list that Activision games may have been a little bit
> larger than 262 scanlines.  Was this true?

I'm not an expert at all, but it really varies from TV to TV
as to how many extra lines you can do.  Newer TVs are able to
cope much better with extra lines without rolling.

>         If I did 261 or 263 scanlines per frame, would that be ok?  I am mainly
> curious because TPS needed to be modified because of a scanline problem (I
> assume), which caused flipping on some TVs.  Anyone know the limits?  Or am
> I forced to stay with exactly what I know.

You'll want to keep an even number of lines so your program
will still display in colour on a PAL TV.

> Otherwise, which is worse for a TV, more than 262 scanlines, or less?

As far as I can tell, you can do less with no problem at all.
--
Robin Harbron   macbeth@xxxxxx
http://www.tbaytel.net/macbeth