Re: [stella] PAL television color

Subject: Re: [stella] PAL television color
From: Paul Hart <hart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 15:32:44 -0600 (MDT)
On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Peter Pachla wrote:

> As I said above, digital TV uses MPEG encoding.  This is fine in
> theory, but in practice the quality of *ALL* off-air transmissions
> I've seen to date has been lousy - way worse than analogue - due to
> the TV companies involved using high levels of (lossy) compression in
> order to squeeze more channels out of the available bandwidth.

Huh?  Are we all talking about the same thing?  By "digital television"
are we talking about HDTV signals?  HDTV television sets are still quite
expensive in the United States (compared to analog ones), but I'd have to
say that the HDTV broadcasts that I've viewed on floor models at the
electronics stores had EXQUISITE picture quality.  Maybe I'm missing
something here.

Paul Hart

--
Paul Robert Hart        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        Verio Web Hosting, Inc.
hart@xxxxxxxxxxx        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        http://www.iserver.com/