Re: [stella] RAM usage

Subject: Re: [stella] RAM usage
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 18:37:27 +0200
At 18:25 20.06.2000 -0700, you wrote:

>In the interview, Larry Wagner said he needed 64 for the pieces, so I'm
>assuming he used them all and wasted the bits.  In the 2600 sometimes the
>overhead of RAM optimization takes too long to be practical, or wastes more
>memory in the process (RAM or ROM).

The other bits aren't wasted. Video Chess uses the lower nibbles of
those 64 bytes to store the 14 possible things that each field can
contain. (nothing, 6 pieces in 2 coulours and the marker)

I think the high nibbles for all the bytes are used for calculating
the the next move. I din't try to figure out the algorithm though.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg