Re: [stella] interlace / single line resolution

Subject: Re: [stella] interlace / single line resolution
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 02:27:56 -0700
At 09:16 AM 6/23/2000 +0200, you wrote:
Theoretically, on each scanline, you could have 5 objects (missiles,
players, ball), the playfield, and the 5 color registers, but it's
impossible to write to all of those registers in every scanline, so
constraints have to be made.

Are you sure? What about the intro of Super Football? It's a six-char with color register shifts on every scanline. Not much going on with the playfield, though, and no vertical movement, but I guess it could have any regular playfield under it.

For instance, there are only few games displaying both players color-striped
on the same scanlines. Keystone Kapers does this, but I think the playfield

Radar Lock and Solaris color stripe just about everything all the time.

Maybe we should look at the Solaris source for how that was done? When you have 16K to work with, there are plenty of tricks you can pull.

And this game also doesn't use color stripes at all (except for the enemies
having different colors)

Enduro DOES stripe the playfield, though, for the environmental effects, right?

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment
Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698
Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/