Re: [stella] miniaturization

Subject: Re: [stella] miniaturization
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 12:50:57 -0700
At 03:09 PM 7/2/2000 -0400, you wrote:
Have you folks heard of the Game Axe? It's a handheld NES (6502) that
obviously emulates the TIA etc.. It is known to play every game that has

Not the TIA, just the 6502 and the rest of the NES chipset.

I checked it out and the best part is its large 4" LCD screen. You simply can't find these screens for sale in any form for less than $100. Since this thing has A/V inputs, it could be used for a homebrew portable 2600 project. Certainly better than RF.

Supposedly you can get these for around $70 USD?

That's quite a bargain all things considered.

Carts are inserted through the top. I think this design probably could be modified for a 2600 if the original designers wanted to, although the end product probably wouldn't break the $70 pricepoint.

The handheld Atari is certainly possible, and has probably been possible since the mid to late 80s. The Lynx has a 6502 in it, doesn't it? Or is it a 65816? The Nomad is a portable Genesis, so they managed to reduce down a 68000 and a Z80, which must have taken some doing. It's just a matter of how cheaply it can be done. B&W is unacceptable, so the screen is the big problem.

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/