Re: [stella] Thrust 1.0

Subject: Re: [stella] Thrust 1.0
From: Mark De Smet <de-smet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 17:07:54 -0500 (CDT)
> I'm starting to wonder wether i should limit the rookie mode to some of
> the first levels and/or only the first "factor". So everybody who wants to
> see all of the game has to go the hard way and learn to fly the ship like
> it was in the original c64 game.

I think this is a good idea.  After checking out the normal skill level, I
think it is doable.  You would have to have something to explain that you
have to go to the normal level to see more levels.  Perhaps after
completing level 6 on rookie mode, you could put the player at level 1 of
the normal mode and keep the old score.  I think this would add a lot of
longevity to the game, and probably make people who pay the 20 or more US$
for it more satisfied that they can get more play out of it.

I guess the only possible problem with this is that it will make level 8
impossible.  After mastering the movement with the tow bar and pod, I was
able to complete level 8, but only after 20 or 30 lives and several hours
of playing.  In normal mode, I find it highly unlikely that it would be
possible.  Getting down is hard, but possible with practice, the problem
is getting back up with the klystron pod.  The added swing that the pod
does in normal mode would probably make it impossible.  Have you ever
completed this level in normal mode?  Anyone else?

A question for you, is it alright that you can swing the pod(when attacted
to the towbar) through the reactor?  I suspect it is because you are using
collision detection, and are flickering the pod and reactor.  I mean it is
alright, but was wondering if you knew about this.

I was talking to a friend and was commenting on how it is hard to switch
from thrusting normally to thrusting with shields because you have to
thrust with a different button.  They suggested making the up directoin
the fire button, and using the joystick button for the thrust, this way
the button never changes what it is used for.  Had you ever considered
this, or is it this way because the c64 did it this way?

Mark