RE: [stella] Stella @ 20

Subject: RE: [stella] Stella @ 20
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:43:18 -0700
At 11:19 PM 8/27/2000 -0500, you wrote:
Glenn, you are in the video industry, maybe you can clarify this.  I have
always heard that vhs format had a short life on the order of these 7
years, but I have seen so much evidence to the contrary.  I recently

Depends on the tape and how it is stored. Think of all the old rock and roll master tapes which are still being used for remasters.

Tapes can get all gummy, get demagnetized, get caught in your VCR, and simply deteriorate when played too many times (friction on the heads). I was mainly concerned with the friction aspect. Editing tape means lots of FF RW operations, even though I was doing it nonlinear, just to find the right in and out points for digitizing.

They also say to rewind the tape to the beginning so just leader is showing.

So tape can last a long time, but don't count on it.

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/