Re: [stella] I can't find it

Subject: Re: [stella] I can't find it
From: Russ Perry Jr <slapdash@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:32:53 -0500
At 9:33 PM -0700 9/11/00, Glenn Saunders wrote:
>They did it all on site with their own Jaguars.  I don't know enough
>about how these schemes work to know whether you need to have the
>original hardware to see if the key was broken or not.  It could be
>the case.

If it's about cracking the product, no, it shouldn't require the
system hardware (though I freely admit that I'm no expert here
either).  Also, read below for more...

>However, we do know that the 7800 Monitor cart approach of slipping
>through the back-door does work [...]

Assuming there IS a back door, of course.  For the 7800, luckily,
there is.  But I'd stil love to hear that someone cracked the real
deal anyway...

>and the similar technique that Carl Forhan uses on the Jag.

Except isn't he using hardware to blow out the encryption check in
some way?

At 6:47 PM -0500 9/12/00, Clay Halliwell wrote:
>What 4Play (now ScatoLogic) did was to feed every possible decryption
>key to the Jag until they found the one that was correct for the
>BattleSphere ROM.  It's a brute-force approach that would have to be
>completely repeated for a different ROM image.

It's also a much smaller space than the potential multiplicands of
the big number, right?

Anyhow, is the key even bigger on the Jaguar, the same, or smaller?
I guess one could take a similar approach to encrypting 7800 games.
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #105   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    slapdash@xxxxxxxxxxxx    VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||