[stella] Collision Detection

Subject: [stella] Collision Detection
From: Pete Holland <petehollandjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:03:22 -0700 (PDT)
A question occured to me after trying the game X-Man.
In X-Man, if you turn a corner too soon, the VCS puts
you actually inside the playfield graphic and, since
this is a no-no, boots you back into the aisle.  This
costs valuable time moving around the maze.  Compare
this to a game like Pac-Man, where the phenomena
doesn't happen.  My question is, how is it games like
Maze Craze and the Pac-family stop you before you hit
the playfield graphics, and other games move you
slightly in them and move you out again, making for
some jerky movements?  Does the computer keep track of
your position in the maze and, when you get to where a
turn is, checks to see if there is a block, or does it
rely on the collision detection latches?  If all games
use the collision latches to determine if a part of
the maze is in the way, why do some handle it so
smoothly while others don't?  What's the secret?

Dobre utka,
Pete Holland Jr.