[stella] 2600/5200/7800 Programming Tutorial

Subject: [stella] 2600/5200/7800 Programming Tutorial
From: "Tempest" <reicher6@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:54:09 -0500
Hello,

	Just in case any of you are wondering why my name doesn't ring a bell, I'm
new to the list.  My name is Matt, but I've gone by the name Tempest for a
few years now (hope I'm not stealing anybody's name).  I'm a collector my
anything Atari (actually any game or computer system pre-Nintendo era), but
I want to start branching out (no pun intended) into 6502 programming.  No
longer am I just content to collect, I want to create!

That being said, does anyone know if there is a Programming Tutorial
available for either the Atari 2600, 5200, or 7800?  I've found the Stella
Manual, but it's a little hard to start out with (it was for Atari employees
after all). I just have some knowledge of 6502 assembly, and need a simple
guide on how to start programming one of these beasts.

I've scanned the Stella archives, but I can't seem to find a simple "hello
world" program that is heavily commented.  The code snippets are commented,
but there is no explanation as to why they're doing each step.  Can anyone
help me out, or at least point me in the right direction?

Tempest