[stella] Keyboard Controller layout

Subject: [stella] Keyboard Controller layout
From: "John K. Harvey" <jkharvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 12:42:16 -0600
Hello.
If I were to use 1 keypad controller for text purposes, how would you
recommend I do it?

ABC, DEF, GHI, JKL, MNO, PRS, TUV, WYZ, QX = 9 options
And then have a 1, 2, or 3 button (i.e. press ABC, then 2, get 'B')

This works, but what if I wanted more characters?

Say I wanted a space, a period, a hyphen, or something.

Then: 9 letter options
2 keys for punctuation

1 'Send' key, i.e. press ABC 3x, press send, 'C' is sent.

The problems with this scheme involve:
1) What if send is pressed with no input?
2) What if ABC is pressed 4 times, then send is pressed?

See, it's messy.  Any other ideas?
What about using 2 buttons pressed at once or something?

-John K. Harvey