Re: [stella] New game concept

Subject: Re: [stella] New game concept
From: Mark De Smet <de-smet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 16:10:51 -0600 (CST)
> I've been lurking on this list for a few months (and a few years ago, as
> well) and have been toying with the idea of writing up a 2600 game for some
> time.. I have a concept that I'll run by everyone and see if it is
> do-able/play-able.

This is really a twisted concept, but I like it.  As you say, there isn't
really anything like it, the closest is probably kaboom.  Given that
kaboom is really fun, your game could very well be great fun to play.

As Chris pointed out, I think you are limited in how you are going to draw
it on the screen.  If you do a 'zoomed' in view so that the tracks look
horizontal like Chris is suggested, I can be done without to much
difficulty.  However, I don't think the theme would be quite as clear.
As then you probably wouldn't be able to see the stuff to grab very far in
advance.  Drawing the whole disk would be great, but I'm sceptical on how
you are going to draw a disk with spaces (presumably wedge shaped)
rotating.

Best way I can think of makes the data very small(ie 1 pixel).  You could
draw the disk with anycommon method; it would not 'move'.  Then add a hub
of some sort with a screw or something that rotates to give the impression
of rotation.  On top of that you'd have to add your data.  You could do
your data bits with ball/missle/missle, but that is only 3.  Then you
would probably have some color changes of them as it goes around because
you are probably going to need to use the 2 players for the disk head/arm
and the hub.

I think Chris' idea of keeping the data buffers full is a great one,
because you can allow the player to get a little behind, but still be able
to catch up.  You could have a new set of data appear after each one is
read, then your level speed would depend on how fast stuff is taken out of
the buffer.

Have you programmed anything for the VCS yet?  This would probably not be
a great one to try for a first program.  Best sorts of games for a first
attempt are ones with not to complex displays.  If however you use Chris'
idea of making the tracks linear, it shouldn't be too hard at all, and is
quite doable for a first program.

Mark