Re: [stella] Closed Captions (Again)

Subject: Re: [stella] Closed Captions (Again)
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:07:03 -0800
At 06:25 PM 11/22/2000 -0500, you wrote:
Looks like I ought to at least finish off reverse engineering CC.
No sense in giving those pricks their ransom money.  It'll be easier
if I have a machine that I can use to try generating some.  The
2600 is actually a pretty good choice since most machines won't
let you play up there these days.

It's probably possible to reverse engineer CC. Try recording something like Sesame Street with the alphabet song or something. Then freeze frame the tape (or digital recording) and roll the image up to see the pattern. Then see if the 2600 can duplicate the pattern.

Because stations may vary horizontal alignment and other stuff, I would guess that even if the 16 pixels were not perfect width or didn't line up perfectly, that the decoder will still be able to do something with it. CC decoding is probably pretty tolerant, considering that it's early 1970s technology.

The cool thing about this is that if you could get it to work you could write an entire text adventure game using the built-in CC capabilities of the TV as your main display engine.