Re: [stella] assembler syntax/conventions

Subject: Re: [stella] assembler syntax/conventions
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 08:21:21 -0500
on 1/8/01 1:59 AM, Glenn Saunders at cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Decimal has no prefix, and hex is prefixed with $, but I was wondering is
> there a way to specify binary number format?
>
> 01010101
>
> Like so?
>
> It would make laying down the graphics a lot more visual.

And that's exactly how dissembled versions of Pac-Man and Combat do it.  I
believe the first thing I did when I actually had time to do a bit of 2600
programming was hack Combat with crazy shapes for the player graphics.
(Second was mess with the playfields, which was _much_ more fun).

Iirc, Nick's dissembled and commented Combat has the graphics spelled like
with binary; it really is worth a look before trying to do too much on your
own.

Yep, just took a look.  It does:  http://www.io.com/~nickb/nbcombat.asm

What I really enjoyed about reading Nick's version of Combat was just how
perfectly it fit the 2600 hardware.  No crazy flicker, no six sprite tricks,
just plain jane, good ole 2600 code.  But most importantly, reading through
a finished game showed me just how tough this was going to be!

Ruffin Bailey